Busy schedule? Short on time? These quick health and wellness boosters take just a few minutes.
Move over crackers
If you have an upset stomach and are tired of crackers, try making some rice in chicken broth instead of water. It adds flavor to the rice and is actually a lot cheaper than chicken noodle soup. It’s also a good way to give your tummy a break from eating junk.
You’re grounded! (Physically)
Grounding, or earthing, is putting your body in direct and uninterrupted contact with the earth. Scientifically, the earth has a negative charge and we tend to have a positive charge. Connecting with the earth balances these charges out. An easy way to do this daily is by taking off your shoes and walking in the grass or on the beach. And who doesn’t feel great after walking around barefoot in the grass or sand?
Rise and hydrate
One of the best things to add to your morning routine is… water. After sleeping all night, your body becomes naturally dehydrated. Drinking 8-16 ounces of water on an empty stomach first thing in the morning rehydrates your body. Water flushes out toxins, kicks up your metabolism, keeps you regular, fuels your brain, and makes you feel more refreshed. So drink up!
Music to my ears
Music has the ability to evoke all sorts of emotions. How many times, when you hear a certain song, you are warped back to particular place and time? Often you can even feel or smell what was going on as if it were yesterday. That’s pretty powerful. Listening to happy or upbeat music has many benefits including relaxing blood vessels, reducing stress, improving mental focus or clarity, raising dopamine levels, and it can make you happy.
More music to my ears
Our days can be very hectic and by the time we go to sleep we are completely wound up. Ending your day with soothing, calming, or meditative music can help you chill out which lowers stress, fatigue, and depression. It can also facilitate a better night’s sleep.
If you have dry or stressed out skin ( especially from being outdoors), give this homemade face mask a try and feel like your in an expensive spa.
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey (local honey is always best!)
- Mash avocado until soft.
- Add the yogurt and honey until it forms a paste.
- Apply to your face and leave on for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash with warm water.
You’re grounded! (Mentally)
According to Jordan Killebrew, “in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy ( CBT) it is believed that your thoughts are directly linked to how you feel and although we feel like we lose control of our thought processes, we have tools that can help us gain back a sense of control and lead to healthier thought patterns.” The next time you feel angry, stressed, or unfocused try this simple mindfulness exercise:
1. Acknowledge FIVE things you SEE. It may be a bird, a pencil, the steering wheel, etc.
2. Acknowledge FOUR things you FEEL. It may be your clothes against your skin or objects you can reach out and touch.
3. Acknowledge THREE things you HEAR. It may be that same bird, a clock ticking, or the beep of a car backing up.
4. Acknowledge TWO things you SMELL. It may be a perfume, grilled food from down the street, or fabric softener from a shirt.
5. Acknowledge ONE thing you can TASTE. It may be gum or coffee from earlier.
These five easy steps are a way of grounding yourself mentally right now and placing you “back in the moment.”